Proper recovery is a vital part of a successful workout program. However, it is among the most underutilised methods of enhancing performance.
Rest is typically easy to implement and understand; it refers to the time you spend sleeping and not training. Recovery, however, refers to the actions and strategies used for maximising your body’s overall repair. These actions include hydration, supplementation, stress management, and nutrition.
Recovery is multi-layered and comprises more than muscle repair. It involves hormonal and chemical balance, mental state, structural repair, and others. Nevertheless, the goal shouldn’t be to achieve all the aspects of repair, like professional athletes. Instead, your recovery practices should help you maximise your training performance.
Get Sufficient Sleep
Adequate sleep helps with muscular recovery, mental health, and hormonal balance. Aim for at least six hours per night or more if your lifestyle allows it.
Here are a few sleep tips to enhance recovery:
- It is more effective to sleep before midnight
- Manage the routines and habits around bedtime to promote optimal sleep, e.g., meditation, dimming the lights and avoiding caffeine
- Reduce the number of artificial lights in your room and try to sleep in a natural setting
- Cooler temperatures and fresh air help to enhance sleep quality
Water consumption is vital to your health, recovery, performance, and energy.
An easy way to check if you’re well-hydrated is to evaluate the colour of your urine. If it is pale yellow to clear, then you’re drinking enough water. But if it’s darker, then you need to increase your water intake.
- The best way to remain hydrated is by drinking water rather than any other sports or performance drinks
- Your performance shakes are not meant for hydration but are designed for use before, after or even during strenuous training
Avoiding heavily processed foods and eating well-balanced foods in moderation will be useful in maintaining your health and increasing your workout performance. Find a healthy diet that works for you and can give you the outcomes you want while still enjoying your life.
- Create a simple meal plan for the entire week and do the shopping beforehand
- Keep some healthy snacks like nuts around that you can enjoy
- When eating out, review the menu before arriving at the restaurant to guarantee they have healthy options available
Training recovery supplements help you re-energise, repair damaged muscle fibre, prevent fatigue and inflammation, and finally, enhance your performance.
Some of the most effective recovery
- BCAAS to prevent muscle soreness while boosting the synthesis of muscle protein
- Omega 3 to counteract inflammation
- Protein supplements like Gold Whey stop muscle wasting and ensure your muscles build strength and muscle
- Glutamine supplements speed up recovery by increasing growth hormones for building new muscle mass
- Creatine is also ideal for healing as it improves ATP production within your muscles to stop the further breakdown of muscle fibre
Besides training hard, taking the time to focus on proper recovery and rest can pay considerable dividends. To reduce recovery time, increase your performance, and ensure maximum results, remember to use the right supplements. Supps R Us has an extensive range of supplements for effective recovery to ensure you stay active and healthy.